Friday, January 27, 2006

Spiritual Habits

Aristotle once wrote that the common denominator of humankind is the desire for happiness. We all want to be happy. One key to happiness is our spiritual development. It sets the framework for our inner peace, happiness and personal fulfillment.

I can personally relate that my spiritual beliefs have helped me in times of stress and helped me maintain feelings of inner peace during stressful times. Of course I get off track like everyone else but my spiritual habits (prayer and meditation) bring me back in touch with my belief that God is in me, on my side and is blessing me with his love.

Having spiritual beliefs can be a great stress management technique. It doesn’t matter what your religion is as long as you really trust that there is a supreme being (God, Christ, Buddha, etc.) living in your heart and guiding you through life. I believe God is within each of us. The mistake is that not everyone listens to that soft inner voice within them.

Sometime every day relax and get yourself quiet and listen to the chatter in your head. Try to clear your mind so you can ask a question about a problem that you may be working on. Listen for the quiet inner voice that gives you advice. Some call it their intuition. Some know it comes from God. Regardless of what you call it, it will be what is right for you at that time.

Develop this habit of listening and you will realize that God is with you all the time. You are always safe. All you have to do is listen.

My daily reminder is a sign I have on the side of my refrigerator. It says: Good Morning, This is God! I will be handling all your problems today. I will not need your help. So, have a great day.