Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happiness Is A Choice

How we feel is a choice we make every time we make a decision to think, feel or behave in a certain way. What I mean by this is that every decision we make has a positive or negative consequence. Those consequences don’t come about by accident or by chance. We are creating them for ourselves.

I’ve recently gained some weight and am feeling bad about how I look and feel. I created these negative feelings every time I put something in my mouth that I knew would make me gain weight. The negative feelings didn’t happen by accident and they were not caused by someone else. They were caused by me each time I chose to eat something fattening.

I’ve chosen to go back to being happy and each time I choose to eat healthy or exercise, I create new positive feelings as a consequence of my choices.

Take negative actions and the consequences will be negative feelings. Take positive actions, behavior you know will make you feel better about yourself, and you will start a series of consequences that will lead to your happiness. It’s your choice.

I believe in the boomerang theory of life. What we send out is what we get back. It’s that old saying that “What goes around, comes around.” It really is true that the thoughts, feelings and behaviors we send out will come back to us, multiplied.

Action Steps

1. Every day, say at least one nice, good thing to someone you come in contact with.

2. Every day, do something nice for someone you come in contact with.

3. Show and express your appreciation for the things others do for you. Don’t assume others know you appreciate them. Tell them or show them in some other positive way.

4. Show and express your appreciation for what you do for others. Stop and pat yourself on the back for your contributions to others' happiness. If you can’t think of anything you should acknowledge yourself for, you need to get started on Steps 1. and 2.

Happiness is a choice. Every day we have many opportunities to make good choices that will lead to positive consequences for ourselves and others. It’s up to you. Don’t procrastinate. Happiness is just a choice away.